ONYX Connect™ Pty (Ltd) [ONYX] is proudly rooted in South Africa with its current primary manufacturing plant in Modderfontein, secondary overflow plant in Randburg and its offices in Gauteng. The ONYX team is headed by individuals with more than 80 years of combined experience in telecommunications, with direct involvement in mobile devices spanning a period of 8 years.
ONYX is in the business of mobile devices and related software and hardware technologies. We manufacture, distribute, market and sell smartphones and tablets, as well as other mobile devices and value-added products in the communication and home entertainment sector. These include Internet of Things (IOT), ICT products, POS devices, Android set-top boxes and televisions.
Google has awarded ONYX one of the first ODM MADA agreements in Africa. ONYX will be able to manufacture and sub-license white label smart phones through this license agreement.
ONYX currently has relationships with 15 countries in Africa.
ONYX is positioning itself as: “Google’s gateway to Africa”.
IPM+ – ONYX will be the first to launch a green phone and tablet in Africa using its Intelligent Power Management Software, IPM+. ONYX has an exclusive agreement with IPM+ to utilise its technology which is focused on battery saving and using less power for recharging.
MEDIATEK – is a global fabless semiconductor company which enables more than 1.5 billion consumer products a year. It is a market leader in developing tightly-integrated, power-efficient systems-on-chip (SoC) for mobile devices, home entertainment, network and connectivity, automated driving and IoT. ONYX has agreements in place with Mediatek.
INTEL – For over 35 years, Intel Corporation has developed technology enabling the computer and internet revolution that has changed the world. Founded in 1968 to build semiconductor memory products, Intel introduced the world’s first microprocessor in 1971. Today, Intel supplies the computing and communications industries with chips, boards, systems and software building blocks that are the “ingredients” of computers, servers and networking and communications products.
SAMSUNG ELECTRO MECHANICS – comprises numerous affiliated businesses, most of them united under the Samsung brand, and is the largest South Korean chaebol (business conglomerate). Samsung became the largest producer of memory chips in the world in 1992.
GAMELOFT – is a French video game developer and publisher headquartered in Paris, with 20 game studio subsidiaries located around the world. 2.8 Million new Gamelot games are downloaded every day.
PAYJOY – brings smartphone technology to customers who could otherwise not afford it. Our smartphone lock, data science and world-class platform makes consumer finance work where it was never before feasible.
SUPPORT AND AFTER SALES SERVICE
Through a network of countrywide warranty centres, ONYX offers repairs, swap-outs and warranties on all products in its range. ONYX products are serviced by two support partners.
CTDI has 90 global operations and is the only level 4 accredited repair centre in Africa. In South Africa CTDI has 151 qualified technicians repairing 450 000 devices per annum, so you are assured that your ONYX product will be repaired in the quickest possible time.
Our other partner, PartServe Channel Support, has a presence in several African countries, and where it does not have established branches, it will form a JV with local businesses to provide support. The local partner will be trained and supported by PartServe SA.
PartServe’s South African repair and warranty branches can be found in: Gauteng – Sandton; Kwazulu Natal – Mount Edgecombe; Eastern Cape – Port Elizabeth; Western Cape – Montagu Gardens; and Freestate – Bloemfontein.
Below are key points from the above and some important differentiators about ONYX:
- It’s the first South African local manufacturer of mobile devices (excluding components such as glass and batteries). A significant result of this will be job creation in the local market.
- Quality is guaranteed due to ONYX’s required compliance with Google’s specifications and designs from some of the world’s largest design houses.
- Google has awarded ONYX one of the first ODM MADA agreements in Africa.
- ONYX is in the process of becoming a Microsoft named account of which there are fewer than 200 worldwide.
- ONYX has supply agreements with two Tier One designer houses, providing it with the following:
- Esthetics – beautiful designs.
- Very competitive pricing for high specification phones. (This is made possible through the reduced import and tax costs associated with local manufacturing.)
- Comprehensive after-sales service:
- ONYX offers local repairs, swap-outs and warranties on all products.
- Flexibility with:
- White-labeling (customised specifications and designs).
- Bundled offerings.
- Limited exclusive offers.
- ONYX offers various annuity income options for Channel Partners by partnering with the following Software Partners:
- International footprint, ensuring longevity and competitive offerings:
- Focus on expanding into Africa (distribution) using South Africa as the continental hub.
- Expansion into South East Asia (manufacturing and distribution).